This recipe is vegetarian, but there’s something about it that can make you animalistic. Thin slivers of halloumi with smoked paprika and nutritional yeast, fried until crispy. Salty, savoury, meaty and umami.
Use halloumi bacon wherever you need a little extra smoky, savoury flavour.
Serves 4 (side)
Prep/cook time: 20 minutes, plus 20 minutes for marinating
- ½ pack/125g halloumi, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil or chilli oil
Technique: This recipe uses the umami bomb, nutritional yeast, one of my favourite ingredients. It's high in protein and fibre and can be used in a wide variety of dishes to add a savoury boost.
- Mix the nutritional yeast and paprika with 2 tbsp oil on a flat plate. Coat the halloumi slices and marinate for 20 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, heat a heavy frying pan over medium heat until hot and fry the slices until lightly browned on both sides. Return to the marinade-covered plate, rub over any remaining seasoning and serve immediately.
My most delicious things
Food membership community dedicated to deliciousness
No spam, only food. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Indispensable on a vegetarian full English breakfast.
- Stuff between sourdough for a fabulous breakfast sandwich.
- Stir through pasta carbonara (instead of bacon).
- Layer in a veggie burger.
- Eat immediately.
- Vegan-isable – Swap the halloumi with smoked tofu.
food styling tips
Make sure you get some good colour variation on the slices, with a touch of char here and there.